Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Well, we arrived safe and sound.  The flight actually wasn't so bad.  We flew business class and had LOTS of room.  Now I know why Kurt can travel and it not affect him so much.  We left at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday March 31 and arrived in to Singapore at 7:30 a.m.  April 1.  It was about a 13 hour flight but as I said wasn't too bad.  

Singapore is absolutely beautiful.  It is like being in paradise.  I look out my living room window and see gorgeous landscape of tropical flowers and a huge pool with waterfalls.  I feel like I am in a resort hotel and any day now we need to pack our bags and go home.  Then I remember that this is home for awhile.  It's HOTTER THAN HECK and humid but beautiful.  We went on an island tour yesterday that the company arranged for us.  We went with this beautiful Singaporean woman named Suzie.  She was great.  She showed us the ins and outs and wheres of the island and I feel a lot more comfortable and not quite so overwhelmed.  We went to the top of a beautiful hill that used to be a rubber plantation, Mt. Faber.  Now it is a state park and it has cable cars that carry people across to another one of the small islands called Sentosa.  It was a beautiful view because you could see the ships out in the harbor.  I have always loved watching ships come in and out.  There was also a beautiful view of the city of Singapore.  She took us to China Town and showed us the areas within the city that we would probably want to look for our permanent housing.  It was nice to see the different areas and have a better feel of where we want to live.  During lunch she found out the we were LDS so she asked us all sorts of questions.  It was fun to play missionary for a bit with those questions.  I don't think she was really interested for religious purposes but she enjoys history so we are going to try to get a Book of Mormon to her.  After lunch she took us to China Town and there was a beautiful Buddhist Temple there.  We went in and toured a couple of floors of it.  It was gorgeous and there was amazing artwork everywhere.  I plan to go back to visit the museum because it tells the story of Buddhism and it's beginnings.  It will be very interesting to learn about the religion and the culture.  

After we got back from our island tour we rested for a bit and then met up with our agent, Peter that is going to help us find a permanent residence.  He took us to 4 different locations yesterday.  One place was in a brand new building that was on the 29th floor.  It had an amazing view and nice balcony.  We could see clear out to the harbor.  The only negative was that it is out quite a ways from the inner city area which I want to be close to and not real convenient for me to get public transportation.  That is a real necessity here since I will not have a car and will need to walk or ride public transport to get around.  

We did see a very nice apartment at a place called the 4 Seasons.  It is absolutely beautiful and the kitchen in it was a true American size kitchen.  I am in love with it.  It also had a beautiful view but I'm going to go out tomorrow to see a few more before a decision is made.

We went to our new ward today.  We don't get conference until next weekend since we are a day ahead.  Conference is taped and then we will view it Sat. and Sun. of next week.  We did hear the announcement of our new Apostle today, Neil Anderson.  It was good to hear.  As usual, no matter where we go and how many moves we make - the gospel is always a blessing and a comfort.  We saw familiar faces today that we know from Louisiana and Houston and we met wonderful new people.  It's always amazing to go where people are willing to serve and love and that is what we have always found in a new ward.  Today was no different.  It is a great blessing.  We actually walked to Church today because it is only a 10 minute walk.  I told Kurt from now on I'm wearing my tennis shoes to walk in and carrying my heels to put on when I get to Church.  My feet hurt so bad from walking in my heels :P  When Church let out it was raining cats and dogs.  It was pouring down very hard so we waited around for a bit to see if it would stop.  We finally ended up sharing a cab with a sweet young couple (Matt and Jenna Wong and their little girl Verena, who is about the same age as Izzy).  I secretly was very glad that I didn't have to walk again in my heels - hehe :).  Prayers are answered and LESSON LEARNED. ;)

Our RS lesson today was on "Finding Joy in the Journey" by President Monson from last October Conference.  The focus was on dealing with changes that happen in our life.  It was good to hear it.  Actually, this has been my motto since Octobers Conference.  Life is wonderful and our attitude is what makes it a happy ride or a hard ride.  I love this ride and am very grateful for it.  

3 comments:

Ciara said...

I am happy for YOUR ride too! Now I can learn all about the beauty and history of Singapore and I don't have to go there! But maybe, it will lure me there even more? Ha. So glad your flight went well and that your "journey" started off with ease. Give us the details of how big each apartment is. Is it like finding an apartment in NYC? I hope it's bigger than our 450sq ft apt! Enjoy your tropical paradise. We have had 50-60 degrees here the past week and I FEEL like I am in paradise. Obviously my views are now skewed ;(
Keep on writing!

jamie said...

I'm so glad ya'll had a good flight! I can't wait to see pictures of your new home.

Angie said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely and have found some old friends upon your arrival. It makes transition less painful to know people you can call for help. Once again, Brian is telling me over my shoulder to remind you to have Kurt to get a transfer for him too. We love you both!