Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cardiff, Wales

Yesterday I went to Cardiff Wales with my friend Kathryn Witts.  We went to visit her daughter, Jessica.  It was a good trip.  I have been to Wales many times and love it.  It is one of my favorite places but I hadn't been in to Cardiff proper.  Jess is going to the University of Cardiff and lives in a gorgeous old Victorian townhouse.  She shares it with about 6 other LDS students.  We went to a rural life museum at St. Fagans.  It was interesting to see the lifestyle of the old welsh and to feel the "spirit" of the old village that we were in with the thatched roofs, etc.  Places were so dark.  I can't imagine having to work with an open fire and the smoke in the room.  Made me grateful for the time that I live in now but appreciate the hard labors of those who are from the past.  

When we got back to Jess's home there were a lot of old missionaries that had served in our Woodley Ward there.  They all attend the University also and most are Welsh.  I have to say, I have a special place in my heart for all the Welsh missionaries that served in our Ward.  They are just good guys.  It was fun to see Luc Rasmussen, Simon Hayes, David Hall and Elder Gardner.  I'm still not sure what his first name is.  They were there with the girls practicing a "Bollywood" dance from the music from "Slumdog Millionaire".  It was going to be filmed for part of a "Oscar Night" activity with the institute group.  It was fun to watch them be silly young single adults.  Brought back fun memories for me from those "good ole days."

When Kathryn and I got back in to Reading (Cardiff is about a 2 hour drive) we met up with Tim and Kurt, Bishop and Honor Mason and Linda and Frans Lambrechtsen.  We went to a Tappas Restraunt in downtown Reading.  Tappas is Spanish dishes that come in small servings.  All really good.  We are blessed with good friends here.  It hit me pretty hard last night that this is all coming to an end here.  I have loved these past three years.  We have made wonderful eternal friendships and lived in a beautiful part of the world.  

3 comments:

The Nielsons said...

I'm really bummed you guys are leaving there! Not just b/c I'm selfish and want another reason to come visit, but b/c I know how much you've enjoyed it there. I know Singapore may be difficult, but you'll make more friends there too!!

Kathi said...

Love you, Kiers :)

Jenn said...

Very hard to believe yall have been there for 3 years. Crazy how fast time can past when you don't want to leave. When is the big move to Singapore?? Love you!