Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bad News

I received some bad news tonight.  I found out that my mother is in the early stages of Alzheimers.  It's really not something that I didn't expect but just strange to hear it.  My cousin who's father is suffering from the disease told me.  Her father is my mother's brother - Uncle Glyn.  She has a sister that already suffered from the disease and passed away.  My Uncle Rex is also suffering from the disease.  This cousin, Carolyn and her mother, Lucy had encouraged the siblings to go and participate in a study to help in research.  Through the tests that were given it has been established that my mother is in the early stages.  Again, I'm not surprised - it explains a lot of the anger and frustration that she has been showing the past few years.  It answers a lot of questions.  She hasn't even told me herself.  My cousin has suggested that we get a power of attorney.  My name and my sister-in-law, Lisa, are already on her checkbook.  Lots of things to think about and questions.  I'm meeting with my Aunt Lucy in the morning to glean more information.  I am supposed to spend the day with my Mom tomorrow.  I don't think I will mention it to her unless she does.  I want to enjoy the day with her.  I will let her know that I know after this weekend.  This weekend is to be a celebration of Isabel's birth - she will be one.  I don't want to ruin the mood.  I don't think my brothers know either.  Makes me again, grateful for the peace that the Gospel brings.  I am grateful for prayer and the comfort that it gives.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Markus' grandma suffered from this and my papa is currently suffering from it. I never thought of it from a child's perspective only a grandchild's perspective. Sorry to hear that, but hope you have a wonderful visit with her.